The present instrument dates from 1928-29, and is the work of Harrison and Harrison of Durham. It has 4 manuals and pedals, with 52 speaking stops, 15 couplers and one transfer.
Apart from a remodelling of the Great mixture in 1978, the organ has stood unaltered for 70 years. It has superb, quiet flue stops, and fine, powerful reeds, and is an excellent example of the English organ of the inter-war period. The Swell is particularly fine.
The instrument is known to contain three ranks of Snetzler pipes dating from 1766, and several additional ranks may be his work, though this cannot be ascertained with certainty.
The Organ Specification can be found here